Maryland Wrongful Death Attorneys Offering Compassionate Counsel
Fatal accident attorneys helping families in Baltimore, Columbia and beyond
If you lost someone you love due to another person’s negligent actions, you may have the right to receive economic and non-economic damages through a wrongful death lawsuit. While you should absolutely take time to grieve before deciding to take action, be sure to pay attention to time, as the state of Maryland places certain time limitations on various wrongful death accidents.
At Plaxen & Adler, P.A., we understand that clients in wrongful death actions deserve special care and treatment. We strive to ease your burdens by handling all of the details of your lawsuit and securing financial compensation for your future. Throughout the years, our team has sought justice for families in Baltimore, Columbia and throughout Maryland, and helped them protect their loved ones into the future.
What Damages May Be Included in a Wrongful Death Claim?
Wrongful death claims have very specific and distinct damages. The wrongful death claim is for the surviving family who have lost their loved one. You have a claim for the grief that you have suffered. You have a claim for any monetary losses, as a result of losing your husband, your father, your mother, your spouse.
At Plaxen & Adler, we’ve been handling death claims for over 30 years. We understand the special circumstances and the special needs of your family during this most difficult time.
How we can help
Our compassionate team of fatal injury lawyers treats you with respect and dignity, offering you a safe place to share your feelings and your goals. Over the last 30 years, we have fought on behalf of clients who lost family members in:
- Automobile accidents
- Medical malpractice cases
- Workers’ compensation cases
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Premises liability cases
- Animal attacks
The heirs of a decedent, specifically the parents, children and spouse, can bring a wrongful death lawsuit against the person or persons at fault. In situations where the wrongful death occurred subsequent to a workplace accident, the heirs can also pursue a claim against the employer’s workers compensation insurance.
What is the purpose of pursuing a wrongful death claim?
These types of claims compensate close relatives who depended upon the deceased for financial or emotional support. Potential damages in wrongful death cases include costs for:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of future earnings
In addition to the above, if the decedent suffered pain before his or her death, a separate action can be brought for the decedent’s pain and suffering.
Maryland has a cap on the amount of non-economic damages that a court can award a plaintiff. However, there are no caps on economic damages.
Special considerations in wrongful death lawsuits
At Plaxen & Adler, P.A., our Baltimore wrongful death attorneys understand how to approach and investigate the nuanced issues that arise during wrongful death cases that involve fatal car accidents, fatal surgical errors and more:
- Proving fault:In a civil action for wrongful death, the plaintiff must prove the defendant’s negligence caused the wrongful death.
- Timing limitations:A statute of limitations applies to all civil actions in Maryland, including wrongful death claims. If you do not file a lawsuit before the time expires, you will be forever barred from bringing the claim. Talk to the experienced attorneys at Plaxen & Adler, P.A. about the statute of limitations that apply to your case.
- Pursuing a survival action:Maryland law also allows the estate of the deceased to pursue a survival action, which allows the estate to recover on behalf of the deceased for any pain and suffering the deceased felt before passing away. This survival action can occur at the same time as the wrongful death lawsuit.
Contact us to learn more about a potential wrongful death or survival lawsuit
If your loved one suffered fatal injuries because of the negligent, reckless or intentional act of another, please contact the Baltimore wrongful death lawyers of Plaxen & Adler, P.A. at 410.988.4449 or fill out our contact form. We compassionately discuss your loss and outline your legal options during a free initial consultation. We offer flexible appointment schedules at any one of our nine Maryland locations.