Seasoned Catastrophic Injury Attorneys in Maryland Fight for Your Future
Helping families in Maryland move forward after a life-altering injury
The injuries you sustain after a car crash, or because of an act of medical malpractice, or on a worksite – or in any circumstances where negligence comes into play – should always be treated quickly, as they could be more serious than you first thought. There are some injuries, however, which can alter the course of your life forever. These are catastrophic injuries: permanent, often life-threatening wounds or illnesses that may require around-the-clock care or extraordinary treatments.
At Plaxen & Adler, P.A., we understand what kind of an impact a catastrophic injury will have on you and on your loved ones. For more than 30 years, our Maryland personal injury attorneys have fought on behalf of people whose lives were forever changed because of an act of negligence or malpractice by another person or entity. You can trust us to tell you the truth about what you face, and to fight for justice for you and your family after a catastrophic injury threatens your future.
Examples of catastrophic injuries in Maryland
An illness or injury can be defined as “catastrophic” when “the direct and proximate consequences of [that illness or injury] permanently prevent an individual from performing any gainful work.” Examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Permanent injuries to the central nervous system
- Loss of limb or accidental amputation
- Burn injuries severe enough to scar and/or disfigure
- Traumatic brain injuries leading to permanent brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries leading to paralysis
- Neurological disorders
- Multiple bone fractures (such as a patient in traction might have)
- Permanent loss of vision or hearing
- Organ damage, either through penetrating injuries or because of rapid and/or undiagnosed infections
What leads to catastrophic injuries?
Certain accidents and events are more likely to lead to catastrophic injuries. They include:
- Collisions with cars, trucks or motorcycles
- Falling objects
- Working with heavy machinery
- Working on ladders or scaffolding
- Medical negligence or malpractice
- Contact sports (in practice or in game time)
- Acts of violence
Accidents and incidents like these can cause serious injuries, but they are not the only causes. For example, Person A may be hit in the head with an object and sustain only minor damage, while Person B – hit with the same force, in the same way, by the same object – could end up with irreparable brain damage. This is one of the reasons why head injuries are so serious; you never know what kind of side effects you might sustain as a result.
Catastrophic injuries as a result of medical negligence
Medical errors account for a third of all deaths in the U.S. While all medical procedures allow for some element of risk, certain results are simply unacceptable. These are commonly referred to as “never events,” because they are never supposed to happen. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services lists 7 categories of never events:
- Surgical, such as wrong site surgery, or a procedure performed on the wrong patient
- Product or device, such as patient deaths caused by contaminated drugs
- Patient protection, such as discharging a newborn child with the wrong parents
- Care management, such as giving a patient the wrong blood or allowing a patient to develop stage 3/stage 4 bedsores
- Environmental, such a patient dying because of a fall
- Criminal, such as an assault on a patient
You can read CMS’s full list of examples here.
Whether you have sustained a catastrophic injury in a car crash, because of a never event in a hospital, while on the job, or in a nursing home, Plaxen & Adler, P.A. can help. Our Maryland medical malpractice attorneys and personal injury lawyers have the skills, resources, and experience to handle complex claims. Let us focus on your case, so you can focus on your recovery and your loved ones.
Aggressive advocacy from a Maryland catastrophic injury lawyer you can trust
Plaxen & Adler, P.A. is a premier personal injury law firm serving clients in Columbia, Baltimore and throughout Maryland. If you or your family member sustained a life-threatening injury or illness because of another person’s negligence, we want to hear from you. Please call 410-730-7737, or fill out our contact form to schedule a free initial consultation with us.