Our clients often have questions about what is, and what is not, covered by workers’ compensation in Maryland. Here, we give you a brief outline of what you might be entitled to receive.

What Work Injuries Are Covered?

People call us and they will often want to know if their injury that occurred at work is going to be covered by workers’ compensation. They’re concerned about how it happened. They’re concerned about where it happened. Really, what it comes down to is any injury that occurs while you are working should be covered under workers’ compensation. If you were injured while you were working, we can help you get the benefits that you deserve.

Will I Be Compensated if My Injury Is Permanent?

If you’ve been hurt at work and the injury is permanent – and that includes any permanent pain, any permanent loss of mobility, any disfigurement from the injury – we can get you an award of permanent partial disability, which is compensation that is meant to provide for you because you’ve had a permanent injury due to what happened to you at work. This involves us sending you to a doctor to evaluate you for permanency, and sometimes going to a hearing. These are specific things that really, you need to call us to help you with because the insurance company is not even going to tell you about this benefit, let alone help you get it. It’s something that you need to get an attorney for. I recommend you call us to help you get that award.

What Kind of Medical Treatment is Covered by Workers’ Comp?

If you’ve been hurt at work, all of your medical treatment related to the injury should be covered by the workers’ compensation insurance company. That includes doctor’s visits, physical therapy, surgery: anything treatment you need to recover from your injury should be covered.

However, oftentimes the workers’ compensation insurance company refuses to provide treatment. That’s when you need to call us, because we can take them either to a hearing, or negotiate with the insurance company, and get them to cover the treatment you need in order to recover from your work injury.

I’m Making Much Less than before My Injury, in a New Job

If you go through vocational rehabilitation, and you end up making less money than you were at the job where you got hurt at, you’ve suffered what’s called industrial loss. When that happens, we will do everything we can to get you a large permanent partial disability award to help make up for the fact that you no longer have the earning power you did in your prior occupation because of your work injury.

Plaxen & Adler, P.A. has protected the rights of injured workers in Maryland for more than 30 years. If you have questions about making a claim for workers’ compensation, we can help. Please call 410.988.4449 or complete our contact form to arrange a free consultation about your case.