Bruce M. Plaxen, founding partner of Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A. was elected Treasurer of the American Association for Justice (AAJ). He is the first attorney from Maryland to be elected to this position.
AAJ is the world’s largest trial bar, and “promotes justice and fairness for injured persons, safeguards victims’ rights—particularly the right to trial by jury—and strengthens the civil justice system through education and disclosure of information critical to public health and safety.” Its work is rooted in:
- Community. A strong justice system requires strong lawyers. AAJ is committed to providing a place where attorneys can network and grow.
- Advocacy. AAJ is committed to protecting the rights of all citizens to pursue justice in a jury trial. Its PAC helps promote and protect legislation that supports people’s Constitutional rights.
- Education. AAJ offers a wide array of opportunities for attorneys to accrue CLE credits, so they can continue to fight on behalf of the American people, even as laws change around the country every single day.
Bruce Plaxen is committed to helping AAJ reach its goals
Bruce Plaxen has been an engaged and active member of AAJ since he first joined in 1987. He has sat on the Board of Governors since 2003 and has served on the Executive Committee multiple times since 2003 (2003-2004, 2006-2010, 2012-2014, 2015-present). Between 2000 and 2003, Mr. Plaxen was a member of the Council of Presidents – a group includes the Presidents, Presidents-Elect, and Immediate Past Presidents of trial lawyer associations throughout the country. He served as President-Elect from 2002-2003, and as President of the Council from 2003-2004.
Mr. Plaxen has served on almost every AAJ committee, and in multiple leadership roles within the organization, including:
- National Finance Committee Member, 2005-present
- Justice 2016 Annual Fundraiser Co-Chair, 2015
- Maggie Hassan Fundraising Event Chair, 2016
- Leaders Forum Member, 2007-present
- AAJ PAC Taskforce, 2010-present
- AAJ PAC Trustee, 2010-present
- AAJ Convention Planning Committee Member, 2002-2013
- Chair, 2007–2013
- AAJ Organizational Review Committee (ORC) Member, 2004-2021
- Chair, 2013-2020
- AAJ Retirement Committee Chair, 2019-2020
- Justice 2020 Annual Fundraiser Co-Chair, 2019
Mr. Plaxen has served as either chairman, co-chairman, regional captain, or state captain for every important AAJ fundraising project since 2001. He has been a contributing member to AAJ PAC since 1987 and is an annual Evergreen Fund contributor. Because of his work on behalf of the PAC, Mr. Plaxen is a PAC Eagle.
Most recently, at the AAJ annual convention held last week in Las Vegas, Mr. Plaxen was elected Treasurer of AAJ. He previously held the position of Parliamentarian (2020). He is the first Maryland attorney to hold these positions.
Mr. Plaxen has been recognized by AAJ for his service many times:
- Wiedemann Wysocki Citation of Excellence: 2003, 2010, 2016, and 2020
- Above & Beyond Award, 2019
- Distinguished Service Award, 2017
Protecting the right to justice for Maryland injury victims
Bruce Plaxen believes AAJ and State trial bars are stronger when they work together to achieve their goals. He frequently hosts joint membership drives between AAJ and the Maryland Association for Justice (MAJ). Mr. Plaxen has played a critical role in helping MAJ grow, serving on multiple committees and in leadership positions, including:
- Board of Governors, 1993-present
- Legislative Chair, 1996-2001
- President, 2001-2002
- PAC Chair, 2001-16, 2018-2021
Mr. Plaxen is the only two-time winner of the MAJ President’s Award (2007 and 2010). He was named Maryland Trial Lawyer of the Year by MAJ in 2009.
All of us at Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A. hope you will join us in celebrating Bruce Plaxen’s election to the position of AAJ Treasurer.