The Vital Role of the Accident Reconstructionist in a Maryland Car Accident Case
Wherever you go on the roads of Maryland, there always seems to be an accident or debris from an accident. Car crashes can happen from inclement weather, road hazards, distracted or impaired drivers, defective car parts, animals, sun glare, or just about any other reason you can find.
No matter the cause of the crash, it’s always important that you speak with an experienced Maryland car accident attorney. Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A. works with trusted accident reconstructionist experts when cases involve extensive damage, serious injuries, or fatalities. An accident reconstructionist is a valuable expert witness relied on heavily in dozens of car accident cases throughout the state every year.
What is an accident reconstruction expert?
In the simplest terms, an accident reconstructionist is someone who reconstructs an accident scene to determine the speed of the vehicles, the cause of the crash, if passengers were wearing seatbelts, and other factors in an effort to figure out how the crash occurred and who may be at fault.
For the most part, an accident reconstructionist has experience in law enforcement, engineering, science, or a combination of all three fields of study and practice. When an accident reconstruction expert is called to a crash scene, he or she will be responsible for gathering evidence, both physical and by using photography and videography. A reconstructionist might also use a drone to safely document the crash scene.
While at the crash scene, the accident reconstructionist will look for evidence and collect data including the following:
- The final stopping place of the vehicles
- The damage to the vehicles and surrounding properties
- Injuries to drivers, passengers, and pedestrians
- Any road hazards
- Any poor, missing, or damaged road signage
- Weather conditions at the time of the accident
On top of collecting evidence and analyzing data, the reconstructionist is also responsible for determining the speeds of the vehicles at the time of the collision, the driver behaviors before and after the crash, and the severity of the impact.
What type of experience is needed to be an accident reconstructionist?
The most trusted accident reconstruction experts should have many years of on-scene traffic investigation experience to go along with traffic accident investigation education. Most reconstruction experts also have accreditations like:
- Current and past involvement in SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
- C.T.A.R. (Accreditation Commission for Traffic Accident Reconstruction)
- State issued P.E. license (Professional Engineer)
Does every Maryland car wreck case require accident reconstruction?
With thousands of accidents occurring on Maryland roads every year, only a small amount of them may require expert testimony from an accident reconstruction expert. If there are questions stemming from the accident about code violations, avoidability, sight distance, collision severity, and speed, chances are your case will likely require a reconstructionist.
Other circumstances that often require the expertise of a reconstructionist include the following:
- The crash victims are unable to recount the circumstances of the accident
- No one witnessed the accident
- The accident led to serious injuries or death
- All of the vehicles involved were totaled
- Proving liability has become too challenging to prove
- There is pertinent information missing from the case
What does a Maryland accident reconstruction report explain?
When a Maryland car accident attorney hires an accident reconstructionist to investigate a crash, he or she will issue a report that will be submitted as evidence in a trial. The reconstructionist often also creates a 3D video or model of the reconstructed accident scene for the jury and court to view during the trial. The report should be able to explain the following:
- The physics that played roles in the crash
- The speed and movement of the vehicles
- How the damage happened to each vehicle
- The circumstances that led up to the crash
- The force of the crash
- If drivers and passengers were wearing seat belts
- The ability of the vehicles to avoid the crash based on their positions
- If either of the vehicles accelerated immediately prior to colliding
Were you injured in a Maryland car accident? The experienced car accident lawyers at Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A. can investigate the crash that caused your injuries and fight for your right to compensation. If necessary, we can utilize accident reconstruction experts to prove who was at fault for the crash that caused your injuries. Call our office at 410-730-7737, or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation at your convenience. Our offices are located throughout Maryland for your convenience.