Silver Spring Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Representing injured riders in Montgomery County
In many motorcycle accidents here in Maryland and around the country, fault tends to lie on the part of other vehicle drivers – turning in front of a bike, colliding with a motorcycle while driving distracted, or simply disregarding a motorcycle’s right to be on the road. And, with a bike’s small size, careless drivers can easily cause a serious accident.
At Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A., our Silver Spring motorcycle accident attorneys can help if you’re injured in a crash. When we take your case, we take action to find out who or what was responsible for your accident and injuries, and protect your right to compensation for your losses.
Maryland motorcycle crash statistics
According to the Maryland Department of Transportation (DOT), our state sees an average of 1521 motorcycle accidents each year, with 1,285 injuries and 72 fatalities. One hundred thirty-six of those crashes happened in Montgomery County.
It comes as little surprise there are so many accidents here in the Silver Spring area. Silver Spring is a large area – the fourth most populous place in Maryland – with many people and vehicles and many highways and roads to accommodate them. The city’s roadways include the Beltway, Route 97, Route 29, Route 193, and Route 390, Route 410, and Route 650. And, of course, local roads and side streets.
Causes of Silver Spring motorcycle accidents
Anyone who rides a motorcycle knows the pleasure of taking a drive on a pleasant day. However, a good day can quickly go bad in an instant when someone else’s careless driving causes an accident. Bikes are fun and efficient means of transportation, but they offer little protection in the event of a crash. The Maryland DOT report shows that the majority of motorcycle accidents happen in June – typically the nicest weather to take a ride.
The most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving. Everyone knows about the dangers of distracted driving, but many people do it anyway. Texting or doing anything that takes a driver’s eyes off the road can cause them to miss a motorcyclist in their path.
- Drunk driving. Driving under the influence of either alcohol or drugs is both dangerous and illegal. Drunk drivers have delayed reflexes, poor judgment, and drive recklessly. This can end tragically for any motorcyclist who is unlucky enough to get in their way.
- Reckless driving. Speeding, aggression, and road rage cause accidents. Aggressive drivers may tailgate, swerve in and out of lanes, or attempt to run a biker off the road. Authorities warn never to engage aggressive drivers, but this may not prevent them from causing serious accidents.
- Bad weather conditions. Because motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles on the road, they can be difficult to spot in limited visibility conditions. Careless drivers who aren’t paying attention to traffic may not notice motorcycle brake lights and headlights.
- Rear-end crashes. Minor car accidents might be considered a fender-bender. However, when a motorcycle is involved, the victim may be completely thrown from their bike, sometimes into oncoming traffic, suffering serious injury.
- Roadway hazards. Sometimes an accident isn’t caused by another driver, but by road conditions. Road debris, fallen cargo, or other unexpected road hazards can turn your simple ride into a trip to the hospital. Your Silver Spring personal injury attorney knows how to hold the right entities responsible.
- Blind turns. Motorcyclists need to take extra care when navigating turns even in the best of conditions. However, many other drivers don’t take the time to look for motorcycles when coming around turns – often ending in tragedy.
Compensation for your Montgomery County motorcycle accident
Unfortunately, you can take every safety precaution, follow every traffic law, and wear all the required safety gear, but you still can’t stop a negligent and careless driver from causing an accident. And because cars and trucks have a protective “cage” around their larger vehicles, you’re more likely to suffer injuries in a crash.
Your Silver Spring motorcycle accident attorney can help you with all aspects of your case, and we put our firm’s decades of experience to work for you to seek compensation for all of your losses, including:
- Medical treatment and expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Our legal team understands that many people have a negative bias against motorcyclists, and when we take your case, our job is to ensure your voice is heard and your rights are protected. We’ll investigate your accident and build a case to ensure the negligent party is held responsible for causing you harm.
Call our Silver Spring motorcycle accident lawyers today
The attorneys at Plaxen Adler Muncy represent motorcycle accident victims in Silver Spring and throughout Montgomery County. If you were injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault, we can help. Our lawyers protect your right to compensation and work to hold the negligent party responsible, while you heal from your injuries. To set up a consultation in our Silver Spring office, call 410-730-7737 or fill out our contact form.