Which Types of Car Accidents Happen Most Often in Maryland?
Experienced personal injury attorneys helping Baltimore families move forward
Every car accident is frightening; the unexpected impact, the noise and, in some cases, the pain you experience can all contribute to that fear. Some collisions, however, can have severe consequences, affecting your health and your finances. The severity of those consequences could be linked to the type of accident you had.
Plaxen & Adler, P.A., understands what the long-term repercussions of a serious car accident might be. For 30 years, our car accident attorneys have represented clients in Baltimore, Columbia and throughout Maryland in trials and in negotiations. We know what kind of future you might face without support; let us help you protect yourself and your family.
Common car accidents
Whether you are navigating city traffic in Baltimore or Silver Spring, driving through town in Columbia or traveling on any of Maryland’s local roads or highways, your risk of an accident increases with every other car you encounter. At Plaxen & Adler, P.A., our attorneys routinely represent people who have been hurt in:
- Rear-end collisions. A rear-end collision occurs when your car is hit from behind by another vehicle. These are the most common car accidents and are likely to occur if you are stuck in traffic or if a distracted driver does not notice that you have stopped at a light, stop sign or crosswalk. You may sustain injuries such as whiplash, or a traumatic brain injury if your head hits the dashboard or air bag with too much force.
- Head-on collisions. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a head-on collision occurs when “the front end of one vehicle collides with the front-end of another vehicle while the two vehicles are traveling in opposite directions.” Head-on collisions can also cause traumatic brain injuries, whiplash, and serious facial and upper body lacerations if the glass in your windshield breaks. Drivers who are not wearing seatbelts may actually fly out through the windshield on impact.
- Multi-car collisions. When more than two cars are involved in an accident, it is designated a multi-car collision, or chain reaction accident. They are more likely to occur in areas with heavy traffic, but construction zones are also dangerous because of the poor visibility that usually surrounds them. Because of the multiple parties involved, these are very complex cases.
- Sideswipes. A sideswipe occurs when your car brushes up against, or swipes, another object. A strong impact could shatter your windows, putting you at risk of lacerations. You may also face heavy repair costs.
- Broadside collisions. Also referred to as “T-bones,” broadside collisions occur when another car hits your driver or passenger doors. A broadside collision puts a driver at risk of broken bones and of being crushed. If the impact is great enough, a T-bone collision could potentially snap the neck of the driver or passenger who is hit.
After a car accident, you should immediately seek medical attention. If you have sustained injuries, the Maryland car accident lawyers at Plaxen & Adler, P.A., can help you obtain the compensation you need for your medical expenses, your lost time at work and your pain and suffering. If you lost a loved one in a collision, we can file a wrongful death lawsuit on your behalf and help you recover the costs of funeral expenses as well.
Protecting the victims of car accidents of all kinds
Recovering after a car accident is hard; choosing the right lawyer to represent your future need not be. The car accident attorneys of Plaxen & Adler, P.A., have the skills, resources and experience you want on your side when you have been hurt in a collision. Please call us at 410-988-4449 or contact us online to schedule your consultation. We are proud to serve clients in Baltimore, Columbia and throughout Maryland.