Maryland Fatal Auto Accident Attorneys
Representing clients who have lost loved ones in car crashes
Losing a loved one in an auto accident is the worst possible thing that can happen to a family, especially when the crash was not their fault. In the legal world, we call this “wrongful death.” When you are facing the wrongful death of a spouse, parent or child, the aftermath is overwhelming. Between financial expenses, emotional trauma and legal issues, a stressful situation can turn excruciating.
The auto accident attorneys at Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A. can ease your burden. We deal with insurance companies on your behalf, as well as demand compensation from the responsible parties. We can help seek damages and losses for your loved one’s injuries, funeral and burial expenses, loss of future income and companionship, and more. Contact us today for compassionate help.
Fatal car crash statistics
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) maintains a variety of databases and reports about car crash fatalities in the United States. According to their current data, 2018 saw 33,654 fatal motor vehicle crashes with 36,560 deaths across the country. This translates to 11.2 fatalities per every 100,000 people. Maryland in particular shows the following:
- Population: 6,042,718
- Vehicle miles traveled: 59,775 million
- Fatal crashes: 474
- Deaths: 501
- Deaths per 100,000 population: 8.3
- Deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled: 0.84
What causes fatal injuries from car crashes in Maryland?
With a fatal car crash, it depends on the cause of the accident to determine the type of wrongful death case to pursue. Fatal car crashes can occur due to:
- Driver negligence, like drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs
- Intentional recklessness, like speeding
- Defective auto parts
- First responder or hospital error
- Road defects and dangerous roadways
You may need to make claims against another driver, a bar or pub, an auto manufacturer, a negligent mechanic, or medical personnel. Our attorneys launch an investigation to discover exactly what parties or entities were responsible for your loved one’s death and work to hold them accountable.
What is wrongful death from a car crash?
Wrongful death is the legal action survivors take after losing a loved one in a car crash that occurred as a result of another’s negligence. It allows you to request compensation from the at-fault party for the loss of support and companionship resulting from the death of your loved one in the auto accident.
Of course, filing a legal action while you are grieving is not easy. This is where the Maryland attorneys at Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A. can help. We provide support and knowledge on complex matters like the following:
- Statute of limitations. Here in Maryland, the statute of limitations on a wrongful death case “shall be filed within three years after the death of the injured person.”
- Eligibility for filing. Under Maryland law, only a spouse, parent, or child of the deceased can bring a wrongful death action. If there are no people who qualify, then any person related to the deceased by blood or marriage and was dependent on them may file a wrongful death action.
- Recoverable damages. A wrongful death case allows you claim damages and losses for things like medical, funeral and burial expenses. It can also provide compensation for your loved one’s pain and suffering, loss of companionship, future income and earnings, and other losses.
Our wrongful death attorneys can describe all of these and more in detail, as well as a complete explanation of your rights.
Maryland fatal car crash lawyers protecting your right to compensation
If you have lost a family member in a car accident due to another’s negligent actions, the attorneys at Plaxen Adler Muncy, P.A. will advocate for you. We can help you bring a wrongful death or survival action to seek compensation for your losses. Look to us for compassionate advocacy. To learn more, or to schedule a free consultation, please call 410-730-7737 or fill out our contact form.